Velvet shoes are a must-have pair for any fashion-conscious person. These shoes are soft, beautiful, and luxurious, making you stand out from the rest. However, you need special skills to clean and care for them to enable you to have the pair for a longer period. Read on and learn how to clean velvet shoes to remove both stains and dirt to make them maintain their sparkling look.
How To Remove Stain from Velvet Shoes
Your velvet shoes can have a stain making them look uncared for. But don’t worry.
You can use the following steps to give it that desired look:
- Using a microfiber cloth soaked up in enough liquid, dab the stained area on your velvet shoes. You should do this before the stain dries on the shoes. But if you don’t have a microfiber cloth, a paper towel can work.
- After that, make a cleaning solution using dishwashing soap and water. Use 2-1 squirt of the dishwashing soap and a bowl of water. If you’ve no dishwashing soap, make a mixture of lemon juice and baking soda. Ensure you properly mix the baking soda and lemon juice until foams are formed.
- Then use a soft toothbrush to scrub away the stain after spreading the above mixture on the affected area. Leave the shoes for some minutes before using a clean, dry cloth to remove the mixture. You can do this repeatedly until all the stains disappear.
- Dry off the affected area with a microfiber cloth or paper towel by gently pressing it on the shoe’s surface. This will help absorb the moisture left by the cleaning mixture. But if you’ve got a hairdryer, use it to make your velvet shoes dry faster.
However, if the stains prove to be tough, go to a professional velvet shoe cleaner so that they can try doing this with a different approach.
How You Can Clean Dust and Dirt from Velvet Shoes
If your velvet shoes are dirty because of dust or any other dirt, you can do the following to make them clean:
- First, give the velvet shoes time to dry off if it’s got wet dirt like mud. Doing this will prevent it from getting damaged as the material is fragile when wet.
- After it dries off, use a toothbrush or soft piece of cloth to remove the dirt. When wiping off the dirt, do it in the same direction to avoid spoiling your velvet shoes.
Remember to brush your shoes every time you’ve worn them to remove off the dust and any dirt that could have stuck on them. You can use a soft-bristled brush or a soft piece of cloth to help keep your shoes in shape and have them serve you for the longest time.
Using Protectant Spray to Prevent Your Velvet Shoes from Dirt
Apart from cleaning your velvet shoes, you can have them protected from dirt by spraying protectant spray. You can buy this from the supermarket around you but ensure it’s safe for use on velvet materials. It can be a stain repellant or waterproof spray, or a carpet and fabric protector spray.
After buying this product, test to see if it’s effective before using it on the whole shoes. You can start by spraying it at the back of the shoes and then check if it doesn’t change the color of your shoes or make the velvet fabric harder. If not, you can use it on the entire shoe.
When spraying the protectant spray, ensure you hold it at least 6 inches away from the shoes to avoid spoiling them. You should then reapply the spray after 4 or 8 wears to reduce the chances of having stains or dirt on your velvet shoes. But don’t put on the shoes before the spray dries off well.
Can I use hot water to clean my velvet shoes?
No. Any heat will damage these shoes.
What if the stains don’t go away?
If you clean your velvet shoes alone and the stains don’t disappear, take them to a professional cleaner.
Can I deodorize my velvet shoes?
Yes. It’s as simple as cleaning the shoes. You can use baking soda or white vinegar.
Velvet shoes are strong but not fragile however they require high maintenance to remain in perfect shape. You can use the above methods to remove dust, stains, or any other type of dirt on these precious shoes.